Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Pre-Trip Jitters


Hey everyone!  I'm still going hiking but I'm not leaving until later this afternoon.  I plan to make today a very short day and just set up camp, eat, and relax.  Tomorrow I will get up early and find my hiking pace.  I'm excited about the route I've selected but all that will have to wait until I get back.  

The pic up top was taken near the southern terminus of the AT near Springer Mountain, Georgia this past March.  I attempted a thru-hike but it was just not meant to be.  I was out of shape and pretty broke financially.  I had extremely unrealistic expectations about what hiking the AT would be like.  I had romanticized it.  It's one thing to watch 200 AT videos on YouTube and buy all the gear, quite another to go out there and DO it yourself.  Everything looks easy on TV.  Trust me, it's not.

This week, I know what I'm in for, even though I've never hiked this particular area of the AT.  (Sad I know, being that I'm a VA native!)  I'm not looking to make "big miles" I just want to enjoy the scenery, breathe the air, take some great pictures, and write in my journal.  I'm sure I'll have a lot of things to share with you when I get home...after a long hot shower of course!!

The area I'm hiking is known for its high ratio of wildlife and that includes bears.  We only have black bears here in Virginia but that still doesn't make me feel less anxious.  Some people hike quietly with the goal of actually seeing a bear.  No.  Not me!  I have great respect for all animals and even greater respect for the animals who are at or above me on the food chain.

I hope to make a few short videos and upload them to YouTube when I get back.  If that happens I'll be sure to share them here in my "Look what I did on the AT" blog entry that you know I'll write!

Time to eat and triple check my gear.  Wish me luck!  Maybe I'll come back with a trail name.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, make my day. Just don't be an asshole. This is a whine-free zone. Wine is always smiled upon though.