Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Sticking With It

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I'm proud to say I am still on my lifestyle makeover and I've lost a total of 34 pounds so far!
This morning I weighed myself and had dropped two more pounds for a total of 4 pounds lost this week so far.  I had been in a plateau for several days and I was really glad to see two big drops in the numbers.  I think I know why that happened.  Right before New Year's Eve I bought a couple bottles of wine and decided I would make some vegan pasta.  I love wine and I love pasta A LOT so these were two very bad ideas.  I proceeded with them despite knowing this.  Although the pasta was gluten free and the sauce was homemade vegan, I ate too much of it.  I also drank too much wine, IMO, for being on a diet.  I skipped a day of working out and decided to eat leftovers instead.  Another bad idea.  Do you see how one bad idea snowballs and perpetuates a bunch more bad choices?  I do.  This is why I'm so hard on myself.  I know me.  I know if I cut myself a little slack here and there I will bend it and stretch it until I have lost all the positive ground I've gained.  I refuse to do that so I'm sticking to my guns.
A lot of you have asked me for the green juice recipe so here it is:
I use a liberal amount of kale greens, maybe two handfulls, 2 or 3 carrots, 1 cucumber, one lemon, and one green apple.  This makes about 8-12 ounces of fresh juice.  I haven't really measured it out but it's one nice sized glass full.
The key to juicing kale is to intersperse the kale leaves with a more watery veggie like the cucumber or with the fruit pieces.  Kale is very dry and difficult to process so I do a few pieces of kale and then a section of cucumber, repeat etc.   I prefer to chug my juice rather than sip it but I rarely sip anything so perhaps that's just me.  I like the taste, I just don't sip.
I highly recommend you watch the movie, "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" by Joe Cross.  Here's the link to the website and the full doc is on Netflix streaming.  It also says on the website you can watch for free on Hulu.
Fat Sick and Nearly Dead movie

This is my juicer:
My juicer on Amazon.com
I like that is has a wide top opening and is very easy to break down and clean.

Another recommendation I have for you is to GET MOVING.  It doesn't matter what you do but it's vital to get up and do SOMETHING!  I started out by walking.  I choose not to have a car and I am fortunate to live in rural setting close enough to town to meet all my needs.  I began by walking to the grocery store because I had to.  Let me tell you something...it's a half mile from my house to the store and when I first started walking last summer I thought I was going to DIE.  I would stop a minimum of three times each way and sit on benches.  I'd get home and collapse on my bed and CRY.  I was so relieved to be home and in so much pain and so exhausted that I'd lay there sobbing for 30 minutes or more.  Yep I had me a good ol fashioned fat assed pity party.  I dreaded going out.  I rarely left the house.  I walked a mile maybe once a week and then I was in agony.  My back hurt, my legs ached, I was overheated and bloated.  I had terrible breath and a gut that was round like I'd swallowed the moon.
Granted, I've never been a summer weather person but when you're obese it's twice as miserable.  I plan on taking Summer 2013 and making it my bitch.  I'm almost halfway to my weight loss goal of 80 pounds.  If I lose more than 80, fabulous, but I def want to do 80 by May 01.  I know it's doable.
I'm beginning to pack up my "Fat Clothes" into a paper bag and I'll be taking them on their final journey to the local thrift shop.  I'm keeping one pair of pants that I despise just so I don't ever forget what I had to wear when I was at my largest.
I will be posting pics this spring or when I reach my 80 pound loss goal.  I have one or two hideous photos of myself in short and a tee shirt attempting to hike the Appalachian Trail.  Let me tell ya, when you're almost 250 pounds with a 40 pound pack on your back, you don't hike very far.  To my credit, I did manage to do the first 30 miles of the AT in Georgia before running out of money.  I think if I had kept it up I may have overcome my physical barriers and started to really lose weight on the trail but it didn't work that way.  I'm HERE NOW and that's what matters.  Who knows, maybe I will give it another shot in 2014!  At least now I know how to adequately plan, prepare and train for it.  I'll be in a MUCH better place to succeed next year.  Who knows!!
Okay, time to hit the gravel and go for my walk/jog.  Later loves!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, make my day. Just don't be an asshole. This is a whine-free zone. Wine is always smiled upon though.