Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

G is for Glutton/My Food Addiction; A to Z Blogging Challenge


G is for GLUTTON
My Food Addiction

Glutton:  A person who is devoted to eating and drinking to excess.



If you've read some of my earlier blog posts, you know that I'm battling a weight problem.  So far I've lost around 40 pounds in 10 months.  The last three months I've been in a huge standoff with my body just to maintain the weight I've lost and not to gain any of it back.  It's been a very difficult process.  

I've had a 20+year thyroid problem that makes my weight loss even tougher.  Additionally, I have a bad back and a heart condition.  Yeah.  So, the icing on the cake is that I also have an eating disorder.  I am a compulsive over-eater.  I am an emotional eater.  I'm in love with food.  Basically, I'm a glutton.  Now, I don't say that to demean myself.  I realize I have a problem with food and I'm working on it.  I'm a realist.  Unlike drugs or alcohol, I can't just stop "using" food.  I have to eat, daily. We all do.  For me, it's a constant, hour by hour, often times minute by minute battle.   

If I get anxious, I want food.  If I'm sad, I want to eat.  If I'm bored or lonely, I go to the kitchen for comfort.  I am blissfully happy when I am eating.  As soon as I'm finished I feel guilt and shame and the cycle starts all over again, sometimes within the hour.  There's a never-ending feeling of hunger and need in the pit of my stomach that won't go away.  I get messages that say, "EAT EAT EAT" all day long.  It's hard for me to eat "just a little bit" of--oh say--pizza.  One slice?  Are you kidding?  I want the whole pie.  I'll eat half now and take the other half to the bedroom for later.  Chinese food?  No buffet for me thanks.  I'll take several entrees home so I can graze on them all night long and the following morning. One egg and two slices of bacon?  Nope.  Half a dozen eggs and half a pound of bacon, crisp.  I'm an "all or nothing" kind of person, always  have been.  One of my mottoes is:  "Go big or go home".  I can't do something halfway.  Moderation is a nice thought but rarely used in my own life.  I've tried.  I just can't.  This is why I do the fasting and the juicing and the 100% total commitment to exercise and nutrition.  I can't "try" to eat healthy and then have a couple of beers, pizza, chips, bread, etc.  Just doesn't work for me and I always end up feeling like a failure, so I quit. (When I quit I feel like a failure, I get sad, I turn to food.)

My favorite foods, an abbreviated list.

  • Chinese Food
  • Pizza
  • Pasta and sauce
  • Anything made with potatoes
  • Breads, biscuits, and rolls
  • Things with gravy on them
  • Fried food
  • Spicy food
  • Salty food


(Oddly, I never liked sweets, candy, chocolates, cakes, pies, ice cream, cheeses, creams, dairy, milk, etc.)

(Having just a "little bit" of mashed potatoes for me is just like asking an opioid addict to have just a "little bit" of heroin.)


Meals like this one weren't uncommon for me for cook and serve.
Photo is my own. #atozchallenge 


I've quit many times, but I'm still here and I am standing tall and proud.  Today I've won the battle and I march on to fight the war another day.  

Everyone has their own demons.  Mine just happen to be very tasty.

This photo is from rawforbeauty.com Facebook Page.  No copyright infringement intended. Used for artistic purposes only.

*I will be covering this and other personal topics in my upcoming book,"Diary of a Middle-Aged Misfit",which I plan to self-publish via Amazon sometime this summer.  I hope you'll remember me and continue to read my work.  Thank you for taking the time to read my blog.  All comments are welcome.*

I highly recommend this film if you're interested in learning more about food addiction: Lbs. The Movie

Overeaters Anonymous:  http://www.overeatersanonymous.org/


Need Immediate Help?
Food Addicts Anonymous
World Service Office

(772) 878-9657

 Monday through Friday
9 am to 5 pm EST
    Email: faawso@bellsouth.net  
Skype: faacanhelp

#atozchallenge April A to Z Blogging Challenge 2013




10 comments:

  1. Stopping by from A-Z. I am with you on this problem. I have battled with it all my life...and the one time I thought I had whipped it I ended up suffering from Bulimia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. It's a tough battle, esp when you need to eat to live. Wishing you well hon.

      Delete
  2. My father and I were just talking 45 minutes ago about a friend of his who has come to terms with his food addiction. I cannot imagine the struggle when food is something you can't just choose to avoid...we need it (and it's yummy) Best of luck to you in your endeavor...athe health AND the book (that's awesome)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the comment and the wishes! You too!

      Delete
  3. Why is it when we have a food addiction that it can't be to salad? or carrots? That's what I always wonder. I've gained 50 pounds in the last ten years and while I know that comes a bit with age, I can't realistically blame all 50 pounds on that.

    Thanks so much for stopping by my E is for Emma, F is for Fredericton, and G is for Giddy posts. I replied to all of your comments if you have a chance to re-visit.

    Cheers from Brandy at brandysbustlings.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. O gosh, Tammy. I just realised that it was a different blogger that stopped by those three posts before. Thanks for going to visit them anyway. What a goof I am! I blame it on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all good! I'm glad we connected! I enjoy your blog and I'm happy to have found it!!

      Delete
  5. Good luck! :) Love the quote about the trash.
    - A-Z
    Bonniegwyn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't claim the quote about the trash but I do like it. When my kids were little, I hated wasting food so I'd "be the garbage disposal" and eat their leftovers. Then I'd eat what was leftover in the pots and pans. It just became second nature to me to clean the plate, the pot, the casserole dish, etc. Now I either save it in tupperware or toss it. I try to make just the right amount of food so I don't have to deal with it too much.

      Delete

Go ahead, make my day. Just don't be an asshole. This is a whine-free zone. Wine is always smiled upon though.