Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Taboo Topics: Woman Breastfeeds Puppy

Welcome to the first installment of my newest line of themed posts.  On Taboo Topics, I will find and share an odd-but factual news story.  I'll tell you what I think about it, and open it up for discussion and comments.  I don't care what side of the debate you take but your comments must be respectful to everyone (including me).

In other words, don't be an asshole!  


The first story I'm sharing is about a Colorado woman who breastfed a puppy.

(http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/woman-posts-photo-of-her-breastfeeding-puppy--says-it-was-to-save-its-life-215418856.html)

Yes, you read that right.

Breastfed

Puppy.

The anonymous woman claimed it was to save the tiny dog's life because he was unable to drink from the puppy feeding bottle or swallow his "K-9" formula. The dog, named "Tubbs", was the runt of his orphaned litter, and despite his spunky character and fierce determination to survive, he was growing weaker by the hour.

Woman breastfeeds puppy.


Thankfully, the unnamed woman was successful in her attempt to breastfeed the puppy, her milk rejuvenating the tiny little canine and bringing him back from the brink of certain death. She told reporters that prior to breastfeeding Tubbs, she thought her actions may be considered "taboo" but chose to go forward with her nursing plan anyway.

So, you ask...how do we really know she nursed this pup?  Yep yep, you got it, she posted the incriminating pics on her Facebook wall!

Despite the public outcry, the woman stands behind her decision to help the puppy.  She said, I can’t let their criticism bring me down when I did something right and I’ve seen the results. That dog is alive because I took that initiative.”

Personally, I'm a huge animal lover and I commend her for going the extra mile to save the runt's life.  I don't think there was anything sexual or perverted about the breastfeeding.  I've read stories from other countries where this practice is somewhat common and it's not such a huge deal.  Whatever.  I just think if I was in her situation and that was my pet, I would move heaven and earth to save its life.

What do you think?

Act of kindness or total whack job?


10 comments:

  1. DEFINITELY an act of kindness - she did what she had to do and the pup survived. No question ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Susan! I think it was a pure act of love and kindness to a dying animal. <3 Thanks for coming by my blog!

      Delete
  2. A little unusual, but done out of kindness.

    Stopping by to welcome you on board the A to Z Challenge April 2014
    Look forward to your challenge posts!


    Damyanti
    #atozchallenge co-host
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by! I am anxious to begin the A to Z challenge and I am excited to read all the other posts lurking about out there...

      Delete
  3. I'm sure breast milk has more nutrients than pasteurised cows milk but I'm pretty sure a dropper would have been smaller (and easier to insert into a puppies mouth) than her nipple - I would have chosen to express, but each to their own... welcome to the #atozchallenge
    Reflex Reactions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the welcome! I agree with you about the size of the dropper but being an avid cat lover, if one of my kittens was failing to thrive and I had the ability to nurse, I'd probably be that woman. Just not that woman posting the pics to Facebook.

      Delete
  4. Love the unique idea with your blog topics here. I'm over from the A-z just getting aquainted. Can't wait to see what you have ready for the a-z blog hop in April.
    I'm a new follower.

    Decadent Kane (blog)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thanks for the compliment! I'm looking forward to the A-Z also...just need a few more hours in my day! I'm glad you dropped by and I will definitely return the favor. Thanks for the follow as well! Salut!

      Delete
  5. Wow...now THAT'S an animal fan! I don't know that I would have posted pictures of myself, though. But that's me. New subscriber from #atozchallenge, and minion to another mother (AJ's Hooligans)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally would not go that far, no matter how much I love a pet. Feels selfish saying it, because a pet's life was at risk, but couldn't she express the milk and then hold the puppy close but feed it with a dropper or something? BTW, I'm one of the
    #atozchallenge participants.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day. Just don't be an asshole. This is a whine-free zone. Wine is always smiled upon though.