Wednesday, December 1, 2021

My Journey to Health-Day 1

 December 01, 2021


Yesterday, I woke up and decided to change my life for the better.  I'm not sure what exactly came over me, but I was sick and tired of being sick and tired.  I'm only 51 years old and I feel like I'm 81 most days. I'm in constant pain, always tired, and I usually end up drowning my sorrows, feelings, and emotions in food and a whole lot of wine. No more. I'm also incorporating IF 18/6 (intermittent fasting where you fast for 18 hours a day and only eat during the 6 hour window).

I'm no stranger to health and nutrition. I've lived and worked on several organic farms around the world, mostly in the Hawaiian Islands, and I've learned a great deal about food, nutrition, and healthy eating.  I've also traveled internationally for seven years and eaten a wide variety of local dishes and I paid attention to how other people cooked around the world. The only time I ever felt fat and sick was when I was living in the United States -- Hawai'i being the exception. The typical American diet is HORRIBLE.  Our food is contaminated with things that are actually illegal in most other countries. Healthy foods are expensive but there are $1 menus on every fast food place lining most towns and city streets across the country. Access to healthy foods can be problematic and expensive.  

I'm not here to preach about the failure of the American food system.  Go watch "What the Health

What The Health free on YouTube (opens in a new window) for a ton of great information about that and much more.  I'm here to explain and document my new direction in life and to hopefully inspire one other person to give it a try. I'm here to answer questions to the best of my ability and to offer whatever advice I can give you. Disclaimer:  I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

So, November 30, 2021 was DAY ONE of eating clean and vegan. I've chosen to adopt a WFPBD or whole food plant based diet. I've eliminated all animal products (no meat, fish, eggs, cheese, butter, etc.), as well as eliminate all processed foods, sodas, and pre-made juices or bottled drinks.  No alcohol or ibuprofen either - I was taking entirely too much of both, often times together.  Yikes.  I owe my liver an apology. Sorry liver.

I originally decided to do this for two weeks but I've now committed to 30 days.  This is my journal of each day on that journey, the good and the bad, the important information and probably so bitching and moaning too.

Yesterday, for day one, I ate:

Breakfast: Black coffee

Brunch: Strawberry puree made in the Nutri-Bullet with organic granola and seeds, fresh blueberries.  I made the puree from frozen strawberries. It turned out like a sorbet and was delicious.  I'm new to using a Nutri-Bullet so bear with me. The strawberries alone were too dry and frozen so I had to add a liquid.  I hate milk and this is all vegan anyway, so I added a cup of orange juice (processed, I know!) and some pomegranate seeds. That worked. I poured the puree into a bowl and added the seeded granola and topped it off with fresh blueberries. DELICIOUS.  

Lunch: Filtered water with the juice of one lime.

Dinner: Long grain rice with quinoa topped with spinach dal and chickpeas.  Confession: These were pre-packed meals I already had in my kitchen that I wanted to use up.  They were non-GMO, totally vegan, organic, and actually made in India.  They weren't cheap, so I thought I'd go ahead and use them. It was really tasty so I'll be incorporating the remaining packets into my home made cooking over the next month. 

More lime water.

Snack: About two cups of large white seedless grapes.

I was finished eating by 6-7 pm and only had lime water the rest of the night. 

I broke my fast today around noon by having a mango and mixed berry smoothie, nothing added. I have a pot of 15 bean soup in the crock pot and so far I've added garlic, onions, and spices. I've ordered sweet potatoes, cabbage, and avocados from the store so I'll be making a vegetable dish later in the day to accompany my beans. I'm aiming for a 6-7 pm final feed daily. 


Quotes I like to think about:


Let today be the day you give up who you've been for who you can become. 

-Hal Elrod


A habit cannot be tossed out the window; it must be coaxed down the stairs a step at a time.

-Mark Twain


Discipline is choosing between what you want now and what you want most

-Abraham Lincoln



No comments: